Hot Water Plumbers - We Replace, Service & Repair Plumbing Sydney Wide
Pied Plumber are the market leaders for hot water installations in Sydney. Our experienced family plumbers can repair your current hot water system or install an entirely new system at very affordable prices. We repair and install all of the most popular brands and we can help you to select the best system for your needs and your budget. Burst hot water cylinders can be extremely stressful in dire situations. Rest assured we offer only quality replacement products if necessary.
After hours emergency? Never fear Burst cylinders never come equipped with a Rolex - Should you find your heating service leak at night, we can help!
Rinnai Service and Installations
BoschService and Installations
ThermannService and Installations
RheemService and Installations
DuxService and Installations
EverhotService and Installations
Hot water installations, service and repairs
The Pied Plumber is family plumbers who are experts in Sydney hot water installations, repairs and services. These hot water installations include electric hot water systems, gas storage hot water systems, instantaneous gas hot water, and heat pump hot water.
Electric hot water systems:
These hot water systems use an electric element to heat the water. In general, the water is always kept at a specific temperature, so you are paying to keep the water in the tank hot all the time, even when you are not using it. Usually, electric heaters cheapest option to buy; they are also the most popular option.
Gas storage hot water:
Similar to an electric storage system, but using natural gas or LPG to heat your water and store it in a tank for use as needed. Generally, gas storage hot water is a cheaper option than electric hot water storage tanks.
Instantaneous gas hot water:
As its name suggests, this is a gas hot water system (natural gas or LPG) that only heats the water when you turn on the tap, saving you money by not storing heated water continuously in a tank.
Heat pump hot water:
These are an environmentally friendly option that operates like your refrigerator but in reverse. Instead of creating a cold environment like a refrigerator, heat pumps create hot water using electricity to transfer heat from the air into the water. They are more energy-efficient than electric hot water systems and so help to reduce your hot water bills.
Need a Plumbing inspection?
Gas & LPG installations, service and repairs
There is nothing quite like cooking on a gas range to make you want to run out and buy a new stove! If you need a new gas installation, whether that is a natural gas installation or an LPG installation, for hot water or for your kitchen range and oven, our family plumbers are ready to spring into action. On the other hand, if you need gas servicing or gas repairs in Sydney (LPG or natural gas), or you want to renovate your kitchen and need the gas disconnected until your renovations are completed, we will come in and fix your problem promptly.
For emergency gas leaks in Sydney, call us on our 24/7 number for prompt emergency response.
For the professional installation and repair of hot water systems, gas/LPG systems in Sydney, call The Pied Plumber on 1300 13 80 80 or complete our online enquiry form.
** Terms and conditions apply
WHAT MAKES PIED PLUMBER
THE RIGHT CHOICE!
If you're searching for a family plumber in Sydney who is trustworthy, professional, and experienced, you can't go wrong with The Pied Plumber. We are dedicated to delivering the best quality workmanship and to doing jobs properly the first time.
When only a professional family plumber will do, call the plumbing professionals on 1300 13 80 80 or complete online enquiry form - First class nearby plumbing around Sydney at affordable prices.
WHAT OUR LOCAL CUSTOMERS SAY ABOUT US
I could not be happier with your expertise and promptness in solving my problem. In future you will always be my plumber.
I am very impressed by your excellent service and will be more than happy to recommend your company.
I was very pleased with the advice and the work carried out for me. I am a very satisfied customer.
Sam did an excellent job. I am talking about the Pied Plumber non-stop!
Help! How Do I Turn My Water OFF?
Whatever the scenario. Whether this be servicing a tap, toilet or even in the event of a dreaded burst pipe - Try not to panic.
Firstly, what service do you wish to isolate?
If it's your hot water, you'll usually find a control valve with a black, green or blue handle at the lower end of the storage heater. Turn off clockwise to isolate.
If you require turning off the property at the meter or main control valve:
- House owner: Usually, these will be street facing around the front fence boundary. If obstructed and unobtainable, try and source the front hose tap and focus your efforts to track in-line towards the road. Most meter's you'll find a T-shaped brass handle to turn clockwise for ÓFF'.
- Unit owner: On occasion, such isolation taps can be difficult to source as there's no absolute clear-cut standard as to where they're required to be located. The most common areas are laundry tubs, kitchen sinks, standard corridor service doors, car parks and standalone wall valves. If unsure, call your strata and have them confirm its location.
Remember, your mains water isolation valve is the most critical tap around the property. ALL property owners should know their whereabouts.
What is "Plumbing Code"?
For the most part – It's not a secret language.
This refers to sets of rules outlined by countries, states and regions worldwide with the objective of providing safe method, practice and installation of plumbing materials and systems fit for public health and safety.
We operate within the guidelines of the Australian Sydney region, which is primarily governed by the AS/NZ 3500 standard and NSW code of practice.
So if you overhear a plumber saying, "That’s not to standard!” – It’s probably good news that he or she knows the rules which must be carried out.
Why is it essential to have optimal water pressure?
The maximum and most ideal house pressure range is 500KPA.
This is achieved throughout most of Sydney; however, some areas have been known to exceed this immensely. Furthermore, in these particular locations, we’ll often find problem issues that rarely occur elsewhere.
High-pressure notably reduces lifespan and increases wear in pipes and valves. Water hammering concerns are prevalent in these scenarios, and generally, water use in high-pressure homes is far greater than their optimal pressure counterparts.
Unfortunately, Sydney Water does not guarantee a maximum supply pressure, leaving the sole discretion of the consumer to protect their property. As plumbers, we can easily perform a pressure test and, if necessary, install a water meter pressure-limiting device to safeguard your home.
Why is the water pressure in my house so low?
Unsatisfactorily low water pressure may be reasonably simple to diagnose in certain situations.
Below is a check-list of possible triggers, from the more popular to the uncommon supplementary causes of low water pressure:
- Your meter tap washer is broken and thus disallowing optimal flow through the meter assembly.
- You have a pressure limiting or reduction device fitted to the meter outlet, which may require replacement.
- Sydney Water has reduced the street pressure supply to prolong outdated and weakened mains pipes from breaking.
- Your fixture tap outlets have become clogged with debris—this is a common problem, particularly after a split in a street main, causing fixture tap outlets to become blocked. This is a common problem, particularly after a break in a road main.
- Your water supply lines are undersized for the number of fixtures you now have around your property. Particularly when homes have been renovated and fixture numbers have doubled without updating water supplies to accommodate the increased flow rates necessary to operate the dwelling
- You have a below ground leak on the property; depending on the severity of the leak, this may impact your working pressures to fixtures.
- You perhaps have a hidden pressure-reducing device fitted somewhere on the property. A full house inspection is often necessary to source these.
The key concern here is: Don't wait for your next water bill to arrive. Check that your water meter isn't ticking over constantly, and if concerned – we're a call away.
Why is it important to source WELS rated products?
All Australian plumbing fixtures must pass strict water efficiency guidelines established therein the Water efficiency and labelling scheme (WELS). Initially, this was introduced to provide consumers with detailed analysis on product flow rates, and to make easy, informed decisions before any purchase. Mainly this scheme ensures your product is approved for use in Australia.
In order to meet these conditions, products must first be produced in compliance with the AS/NZS 6400 standard and that the manufacturer must be licenced within the WELS structures. Simply Check their unique licence number located below the WELS rating or purchase from reputable Australian plumbing suppliers. Reece particularly is a safe supplier choice.
This is a fine example of why it's crucial to purchase Australian rather than inexpensive foreign knockoffs that can't be guaranteed. These products are not intended for our operating conditions, working pressures, or pipe sizing and can be potentially dangerous to you and your property.
Why Does My Neighbour Have An Off-Peak Electric Hot Water Service?
That’s because it’s a whole lot cheaper to run! Electricity has never been more expensive, and on average, an electric Hot Water service can account for a third of your total power bill. Running your Hot Water service at the cheapest tariff at night is approx. 60% less per kilowatt hour.
But, it’s not all sunshine lolly-pops
Your electricity utility will require installing a new off-peak timer switch on your meter board which is not always possible. Additionally, your hot water heater must be a minimum storage of 250 Litres and sized accordingly so as to ideally remain hot throughout the day and night. Undersized setups can easily run out of hot water until the following day and may not cope should additional household members be present.
‘Off-peak setting 2’ is a potential game-changer in this scenario. This is a setting used at the meter board to enable power back to the heater one further occasion during the day, allowing the setup to cope with supplementary visitors craving for their showers.
Suppose Off-Peak isn’t ideal for you? Perhaps consider gas hot water solutions (if possible) or stainless steel storage cylinder routes which will reduce your running costs and environmental footprint.
When Should I contemplate installing a tankless instantaneous Hot Water Service?
Well, if cheaper running costs, longer hot water service lifespan, greater warranty periods and fewer working valves to disrupt your hot water is of interest, then instantaneous options are for you.
It is important to keep in mind that instantaneous hot water technologies are typically more costly to install than conventional hot water systems since a weatherproof electrical PowerPoint is a factor in any outlay costs. However, once all infrastructure is in place, these installations save thousands of dollars throughout their life cycle through efficiencies and often last twice as long as electric storage units.
We suggest natural gas versions only since LPG systems are relatively energy-intensive, requiring considerably more bottle swaps throughout a year cycle.
Why Is My Water Bill So Bloody High!?
At The Pied Plumber, we understand that knowing how to lower your water bills in Sydney will go a long way to helping families manage their budgets within challenging climates.
Never fear! There are ways that you can reduce your water bills, whether this be installing water-efficient appliances and fixtures or by ensuring that leaks are isolated and fixed promptly. These actions will not only help you save money on your water bills but assist in conserving water, we can all help save our dams during drought seasons.
Five strategies for saving money on your water bills in Sydney
- Check your toilet for leaks: Add a few drops of food colouring into the cistern and wait for 30 minutes. If the cistern is leaking into the pan, you will see the coloured water in the bowl.
- Install a dual flush cistern: This can save you up to 5 litres of water every time you flush the toilet, which can add up to thousands of litres per year.
- Check fixture flow rates: Our family plumbers will check the flow rates of your shower heads, bath, vanity, kitchen and laundry taps and install water restrictors, which reduce the flow rates to save you money.
- Repair leaking taps: One or more dripping taps can add up to a lot of wasted water and higher than expected bills. So whether these are indoors or outdoors, the prompt repair of leaking taps is essential to conserving water and saving money on your water bills in Sydney.
- Hidden underground leaks: Often, the first time you realise that you have an insidious underground water leak is when you receive an abnormally high water bill. However, leaks from underground mains water pipes can be challenging to locate, which is why our electronic line locating equipment comes in handy. Our family plumbers will quickly and efficiently find the source of your underground water leak and repair the pipes, helping you to save money on your water bills in Sydney.
Lower your water bills with a water leak claim form
When you have a concealed water leak underground and have promptly acted to fix the problem, you can claim credit for the additional water charges from the council. As licensed family plumbers in Sydney, we will issue you with a water leak claim form, which you submit to Sydney Water once we have repaired your water leak helping you lower your water bill in Sydney following a hidden leak.
We're here if you need us: 1300 13 80 80
Why is my water coloured?
Fortunately, you're not alone—this prevalent problem in Sydney households is, most of the time, due to either hot water cylinder rust or cast-iron pipe supply issues. (if in older properties)
Open your taps independently to check whether the discolouration occurrence is on both hot and cold sides. If your issue is predominantly from the hot side - your hot water heater is asking for a check-up.
Are you finding this on both sides? It's a likely supply issue.
Discolouration can range from a slight cloudy white tinge to black, brown and orange water supplies. To check, simply fill a clear cup sample and focus notably on the bottom for sedimentation.
On occasion, even a Sydney Water street mains break can affect surrounding property supply, so in the meantime, continue using your plumbing and, after a day or two - if the problem persists, have this looked over.
Otherwise, give us a call! We would be more than happy to help. 1300 13 80 80
How Long Should it Take for my Storage Heater to Warm Up?
Generally speaking, from stone-cold to piping hot – this process, whether gas or electric, should not exceed 30-40 minutes.
There are some exceptions here:
Is your electric hot water service powered by an off-peak setting? In this case, you’ll more than likely be waiting until the following morning to have a shower as off-peak settings are usually operational after 2 am to power your unit to its optimal temperature range.
So, your Hot Water Service is a Gas storage model? Most gas storage models actually heat quicker than electric variants. If you’re still running cold water after 30 minutes, you should probably have the setup looked at.
Heaters can be marvellously temperamental, and often times if it isn’t a power or gas issue, it can be valve related. The Pied Plumber can assist either way!
Do You Offer Home Plumbing Health Checks?
Absolutely! This can, on request, be conducted free of charge during any paid visit. A plumbing report to be issued as part of the service. including:
- flow rate testing
- Checking all indoor taps and toilets for leaks
- Checking outdoor taps for leaks
- Assessing the condition of your hot water service, including operating temperatures
- House pressure testing
What Hot Water Brand Should I Consider?
For the hottest of hot, hot water you’ve ever seen, Rheem comes on steady, hot and strong. It just keeps going on...
It comes down to glorious advertising. However, (and sorry to burst anyone's bubble) – in this day and age, there’s no clear winner in the hot water brand race.
Many heaters are rebranded with matching warranties and technology and often times built in factories situated side by side.
We only recommend purchasing Heaters from Reece to ensure fast and reliable after-sales service and, above all else, suggest sticking to the top brands and not these knock offs found that your local hardware store.
What Prevalent Symptoms Constitute Plumbing Repairs?
- Water hammering or odd audible noise emanating from plumbing fixtures can commonly cause burst pipes and property damage if left unattended. It may seem insignificant but certainly, a worthy idea to check for peace of mind.
- Water damage outside shower screens, bubbling paint along walls and adjacent rooms, dampness or discolouration around ceilings along with off stagnant odour around plumbing areas. Avoid an insurance claim, have this checked.
- Higher than usual water bills is a relatively standard method of establishing whether you have an issue. If you're unable to identify the cause of the billing discrepancy – It might be worth having your house inspected for leaks.
- Gurgling and varying water levels in toilets, floor wastes, and outdoor drains are a giveaway sign that you have a sewer blockage. This is the time to have your plumbing assessed to prevent overflowing drains.
- Hot water no longer producing a reasonable tempered supply; A plethora of causes may result in this scenario – All of which should be appropriately assessed by a licenced plumber.
- The sudden drop in your outside garden grassed area? This might sound like a sinkhole or something out worldly, although it is usually a result of drainage breaks underground.
Broken sewer lines are the usual culprit as there's a regular supply of waste passing through these pipes, which can draw in the surrounding ground as waste matter passes. These issues should adequately be assessed even if your grass has never been greener!
Since our establishment in 1995 – You've had it, we've seen it.
How much water does my dripping tap actually waste?
Severe leaks can cause hundreds of litres of water per day to gurgle down your drain. Water use in Sydney averages per person at around 300L per day, factoring in all dishwasher, washing machine, toilet, shower, hosing and general tapware use. So losing a vast amount through a seemingly minor problem can add up fairly quickly. If left for months, it’ll affect your back pocket the next time you receive your water bill.
Our advice is to fix significant leaks as soon as they arise.
My shower takes a lifetime to heat up! WHY?
A shower, in this case, is just an example. In theory, any hot water fixture can be affected by this problem. You may have hot water quickly on one side of the house and then worry it's broken once you reach the other end.
These issues are mainly pipe sizing and length related problems. The further your heater is away from the fixture, the greater the heat loss and time taken to reach the furthermost tap. Even climate can affect the heat loss in lines.
Only when Hot water services have a lack of pressure preventing optimal flow is when these issues are insanely prevalent. Most of the time, we are able to provide solutions to improve or completely remedy your hot water problem.
Where you'll find us
Local to you
- Elanora Heights
- Mona Vale
- Church Point
- Allambie Heights
- Frenches Forest
- Curl Curl
- Terrey Hills
- Killarney Heights
- Beacon Hill
- Dee Why
- Palm Beach
- Wheeler Heights
- Avalon Beach
- Balgowlah Heights
- Collaroy Plateau
- Cromer Heights
- Duffys Forest
- North Narrabeen
- Oxford Falls
- Northern Beaches
- St Ives
- Middle Cove
- Macquarie Park
- North Turramurra
- North Wahroonga
- West Killara
- West Pymble
- Upper North Shore
- Lane Cove
- Hunters Hill
- North Sydney
- Neutral Bay
- Lavender Bay
- Milsons Point
- Huntleys Point
- St Leonards
- Clifton Gardens
- Kurraba Point
- Linley Point
- Cremorne Point
- Crows Nest
- Lane Cove North
- Lane Cove West
- Lower North Shore
- Castle Cove
- Centennial Park
- Rushcutters Bay
- Watsons Bay
- Potts Point
- Elizabeth Bay
- Bellevue Hill
- Dover Heights
- Double Bay
- Point Piper
- Eastern Suburbs
- Baulkham Hills
- Bella Vista
- Castle Hill
- West Pennant Hills
- North Rocks
- Stanhope Gardens
- Rouse Hill
- South Wentworthville
- Kings Langley
- The Ponds
- Winston Hills
- Box Hill
- Pennant Hills
- The Hills District
- Dulwich Hill
- Hurlstone Park
- Summer Hill
- Rodd Point
- Canada Bay
- Russell Lea
- Bardwell Park
- Bardwell Valley
- Clempton Park
- Wolli Creek
- Arndell Park
- Inner West
- Kings Cross
- The Rocks
- Surry Hills
- Darling Harbour
- Forest Lodge
- Darling Point
- Dawes Point
- Moore Park
- Sydney CBD
- Pendle Hill
- Seven Hills
- North Parramatta
- Breakfast Point
- Constitution Hill
- Denistone West
- Denistone East
- Dundas Valley
- East Ryde
- Harris Park
- Kings Park
- Mays Hill
- Melrose Park
- Mobbs Hill
- Tennyson Point
- Wentworth Point
- West Ryde
- Western Sydney
- Liberty Grove